Monday, September 12, 2011

Memories and Goodbyes

I received a phone call tonight informing me that my Grandma (on my mother's side) was not going to make it through her latest ordeal. She's has a form of Alzheimer's for quite some time now and she has been attending a daycare because it's become harder for her husband to take care of her at home. At her most recent trip to this facility she suffered a fall and broke her jaw that required surgery to correct. I had a feeling as soon as I heard that she probably wouldn't make it.

I'm sitting here tonight thinking of all the great memories I have of my Grandma. We used to visit her in Liberty, MO quite often and we loved to go swimming and shopping. I remember crying and waving from the car window when we had to leave. I was worried that she would be lonely without us, as she lived by herself.

She moved to Lincoln once she retired so she could be closer to all of us. Not long after she moved here she remarried and soon after became ill. There is a moment that I won't forget for the rest of my life that I shared with her. We were at her house and she wasn't horribly sick but she hadn't been doing great. I walked into the kitchen to say hello to her and she hugged me so tight and laughed just like she used to. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. I knew deep down that would be the last moment I shared with her that she seemed like her old self; like the Grandma I always knew and loved.

I'm very sad that this has happened but also relieved to know that she will be with my Grandpa where she belongs. Goodbye Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment